Every piece of art being created is so much more than the visual outcome alone...it's the journey not the destination.

Saturday 6 January 2018

The Arty Table

Wishing you a happy, blessed and peaceful 2018. May the dreams you have been harboring become a reality and a great success.

I played with acrylic pouring in the beginning when I started painting in the year 2000, which I then sometimes combined with resin pouring. Wow, 18 years ago and the sound of that makes me sound  ancient 😁, however I am still 25 in my mind. spirit and heart with a great sense of  humor! My biggest commission at that time was a triptych (a painting made up out of 3 canvas panels  hanging together to form one painting).  Each panel was 100cm x 150cm and the overall size of the painting was 100cm x 150cm. Since then acrylic pouring has evolved with new and fun techniques. You can see some of my 2017 acrylic pouring paintings here.

We inherited a kitchen table and chairs from my parents-in-law just over a year ago and it was in need of a makeover.


Initially I considered a big Mandala design on the table top, however I left the table as is for the time being as I was still throwing ideas around in my mind.  In December however I decided that now is the time for that makeover and set my mind on doing an acrylic pour on the table top, yet keeping the chairs plain as the table top will be the focus.

I needed sufficient space to do the acrylic pouring on the table as it is round.  I also needed a dust free area as it takes a couple of days for the acrylic pour to dry.  We have 3 kitties and the area had to be non-accessible to them...even if it was just for a couple of days until the table top was dry otherwise I would have kitty paws all over the table top and everywhere else.  The best place I could think of was my studio even though it is very small, however I was able to fit it in...only just!

Here are some photographs of the table in my studio where I have painted the table top solid white.  

The limited space...and yes, an exercise ball in the background which I use as a chair...it's indeed very comfortable to sit on.


Four 1 liter cups filled with the different colours of paint.


The covered carpeted floor. after doing the acrylic pouring on the table top.
I sealed the base of the table in so that none of the paint could reach the newly painted table base.

I never wear gloves 😆

Now if this is what my hands looked like, just imagine the feet...I'd rather not post of photograph of the feet 😯

The final result

Some close-up photographs of the table top.






I am thrilled with the end result and I hope you enjoyed this post.  Your feedback is welcome and please do not hesitate to ask should you have any questions.
















No comments:

Post a Comment