Every piece of art being created is so much more than the visual outcome alone...it's the journey not the destination.

Tuesday 21 April 2020

Day 19 To Day 26 Of Lock-down

Day 19 - Tuesday (14 April 2020)


All in all it was a pretty quiet day.  In the morning I mixed a double batch of the recipe I posted on day 18 "Faster, No knead bread".  I planned to make 2 loaves of bread.  One bread will go with the leftover pea soup this evening and the other loaf will be for tomorrow.  As mentioned in that recipe the dough needs to stand for 3 hours.

I spent some time in the studio finishing up on painting number 1 and working on painting number 2 of my series of 5 paintings.  I have not decided on a name for the Series as yet.

In the afternoon I baked the 2 loaves of bread so that they will be all cooled down by supper time.

Leftover pea soup and freshly baked bread for supper went down really well.

Day 20 - Wednesday (15 April 2020)


Autumn is definitely in the air and the cooler weather is welcome.  I haven't seen the plovers for a while, but I can still hear them when they call to each other.  I suppose they have moved, like previous occasions, to a more covered area in one of the smaller communal gardens in the estate. 

This morning I decided to make some crumpets and used the recipe out of my trusty cookbook, "The Complete South African Cookbook" by Magdaleen van Wyk.  I have made this recipe many times in the past and have always been a favourite over the years.

CRUMPETS

Makes 25-30 small;  Prep time 20 min;  Cooking time 5 min.

500 ml (2 cups) cake flour
50 ml (4 tablespoons) sugar
2 eggs
20 ml (4 teaspoons) butter, melted
250 ml (1 cup) milk
20 ml (4 teaspoons) baking powder
2ml (1/2 teaspoon) salt

Method:

1.  Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together into a bowl.
2.  Beat the eggs and sugar in another bowl, and add the milk and butter.
3.  Fold the dry ingredients into this mixture and stir well to form a smooth batter.
4.  Bake on a hot griddle or in a heavy-based frying-pan.  Turn once.
5.  Serve with honey, butter, jam and cream.


Above: The freshly fried crumpets are stacked on a small plate.  Each crumpet is more or less about +/- 10cm long and 8 cm wide.  These ones are quite big so I got out about 18-20 crumpets.

The rest of the day was spent quietly in the studio watching some off-grid Tiny Houses and permaculture living.  I would absolutely love living like this, have a cow, chickens and a goat or two.  

I also worked more on number 2 of my series of 5 paintings.

Sometimes in life incidents happen, sometimes small ones and sometimes big ones...then you get those incidents which leaves you utterly emotionally hurt and drained.  In times like this I get like a tortoise, pull my head back and that is that...I retreat into my studio...

Day 21 - Thursday (16 April 2020)


A perfect morning to enjoy a coffee date with my soul sister and friend Monica on Skype.  It's incredible how time flies by when you are having fun.  It was so great to see you Mon and thank you for the great chat.

The rest of the day was slow and painful in a way as I am still trying to work through some internal, emotional and soul stuff.  Sometimes some incidents truly leave you breathless from shock, empty, heartbroken and unattached.  Sometimes incidents, just like Covid 19, will affect a situation to a point where it will sadly just never be the same again after that...never. Words are wonderful as you can do such good with them, for example inspire someone or build them up... but, then there is the ugly side of words where they break and take and can thus also be the biggest evil of all.  Words used in a negative way cuts like a knife and can never be taken back.  That is why I will rather choose to go silent than saying something negative as I am never able to take those words back...Three things you can't recover in life...The word after it's said, the moment after it's missed and the time after it's gone.

Sometimes your best simply is just not enough and I am talking here from a general point of view.

I am grateful to my wonderful husband, whom understands me, loves me unconditionally and knows how to support me emotionally when I need it and vise versa.

Day 22 - Friday (17 April 2020)


Got up, made some coffee and then a 'little comfort' to eat.  Have you ever taken plain Marie biscuits and put some grated cheese on the one side and close the 'sandwich' up with another Marie biscuit...Ahhh, so tasteful and yummy.

I finished painting nr 2 as well as painting nr 3 of the series.  They are predominantly watercolour with some mixed media touches.

We enjoyed lovely bean soup and homemade bread for supper.


Day 23 - Saturday (18 April 2020)


Wow, what an incredibly beautiful autumn day with clear blue skies and no wind.  

We had a lovely call from my parents-in-law.  We are very concerned for their health as they are both in their 80's and my father-in-law has had terrible lung infections over the past 2-3 years.   We are just very grateful that they practice a good health and safety regime when they pop out to the shop for essentials.  When they get home they put their clothes in the washing machine as well as disinfect everything they purchased at the shop.  At his age, even with the health problems he struggles with from time to time, he is such a great example to many as he is always active and busy with some or other project.  

I saw a post on Facebook this morning about how the lions in the Kruger National Park was lying around on the golf course and the penguins in Simons Town went strolling down the road.  It just goes to show how free animals feel without humans around.

We had an interesting event today here in the estate.  As you have also experienced under lock-down that everything is a lot quieter than usual.  We heard this big truck just outside of our house and found it odd that such a big truck is driving around in the estate.  It is not a big estate and the roads here are just wide enough for 2 cars to pass one another.  We are the second house from the corner and there was this huge truck, truck head with a big or rather long refrigerator trailor with 12 wheels at the back, trying to turn the corner.  It really was a very tight squeeze and the truck was basically stuck as the trailor section was about to uproot a tree that was on the corner.  The truck driver had to reverse a little, take a wider turn going onto the garden section of the neighbours across the road to be able to turn the corner.  Well, that was the easy part as there is still a mini circle with poles by the entrance gate.  They struggled for nearly an hour back and forth, back and forth to manouver this huge truck out the entrance gate.  I bet the truck driver was very grateful once he was out of the main gate.  We were joking around saying that it is really odd for a refrigeration truck to be in the estate, perhaps someone place a huge meat order to add to their lock-down stock.

I made a delicious 'Chocolate Block' recipe I got from my cousin, Erika.  The chocolate blocks are currently in the fridge to cool down.  I have a suspicion that I didn't break the Marie biscuits into small enough pieces.

Back in the studio to work on painting nr 4 of the series.  I am still contemplating a name for the series...like my Dad always say "time will tell".'

I went to check on the "Chocolate Blocks" as they should be cool and ready to be cut into squares.  Well, dare I say another epic fail ha ha ha.  It turns out that it has sort of set, yet in some places not quite.  I have a suspicion that I didn't break the Marie biscuits into small enough pieces as mentioned before.  I messaged my cousin and told her the final result of my chocolate blocks and asked her how small she breaks her biscuits into.  She said that she normally rolls them with a cake roller into very small bits, just making sure she doesn't roll them into powder.  Well, there is my answer as I broke the Marie biscuits into bits of about 2 cm.  Now I will know for next time.


I had a lazy afternoon and decided to take a catnap.  Da Vinci was too happy and snuggled right next to me on the bed.

I finished painting nr 4 in the series this evening.  I will post them once I have completed all 5 paintings.


Day 24 - Sunday (19 April 2020)


Today I am very grateful for my family and that everyone has a safe place during lock-down.  What I enjoy most of all about lock-down is the quietness and nature sounds being more prominent.  

Today my husband, Adrian, is in the garage working on some of his remote control planes.  Yes, he is an avid remote control pilot and I am grateful that he enjoys his hobby so much.   I know he feels some frustration of not being able to go out and fly his planes, but at least he gets some satisfaction on the occasion of flying his helicopter in the driveway.

This morning I mixed up two batches of bread dough.  I used the 'No knead bread recipe', which has become my ultimate favourite as it tastes really good.  One batch is white bread and the other one is nutty wheat with some added pumpkin and sunflower seeds.  Getting daring, yes I am.  So now the dough needs to rest and rise for 3 hours.  I have to admit I am really looking forward to tasting the bread with the pumpkin and sunflower seeds. 

I made some spaghetti bolognese for supper and I have to admit that this is one of my favourite dishes to eat and my family loves it too.



Day 25 - Monday (20 April 2020)


Such lovely weather today, my favourite kinda weather which is overcast with soft drizzling.  

Wow, cleaning day again...it feels like the previous one was just yesterday 😆

We enjoyed some of the bread I baked yesterday for lunch with some cheese and apricot jam.  The nutty wheat bread with pumpkin and sunflower seeds came out tops and tastes delicious.  

This rest of the day was spent watching movies.


Day 26 - Tuesday (21 April 2020)


One can definitely feel the change of season in the air.  Mornings are nippy and as the sun sets in the evenings the temperatures drops.  

I scanned some of my acrylic pouring paintings today and started uploading them to my website on Pixels.  

Originally the website started out as Fine Art America, which I joined in 2010.  The website expanded dramatically and Pixels was 'born' and became the mother website selling artwork on various products.  In the beginning of 2018 I really suffered from social media burnout as I had so many sites to attend to and decided to close many of my online sites including my website with Pixels.  Near the end of 2018 I received a private message on my Facebook Business Page from a client in America.  She purchased some of my products in the past and asked me where she could purchase more products as she can't find me online on Fine Art America or Pixels.  I thus decided to reopen my account on Pixels the end of 2018 and uploaded the works she requested.  

As we are in lock-down I thought now would be perfect timing to upload some more works to my website on Pixels.  So if you would like to take a peek and/or purchase some products you can just click My Shop.  On the left side of the page you will find a menu and when you click on the down arrow in the 'Department' section it will open up all the other product selections each with their sub-divisions.  The main divisions range from 'Wall Art', 'Home Decor', 'Lifestyle', 'Beach', 'Phone Cases', 'Apparel', 'Stationary', 'Totes & Pouches'.  When you click on one of the 'Divisions' it will open up to the products in that division.

So basically the entire day was spend on scanning, uploading and updating my website, as well as updating my blog.  May your curiosity prod you to pop over to my website and have a look around.  You might just find something there that you like.  One of the new products are face masks.  So why wear a boring mask if you can wear something arty and make a statement. 

Face mask example and on my website you will be able to view the mask from various angles.

Should you wish to purchase something, you will not just be supporting and encourage an artist, but a family too and it would be greatly appreciated and valued.

I am wishing you well and to stay safe.  Remember keep the social distancing.

Much love and light 






























No comments:

Post a Comment